- Graduation and Teacher Gifts - As the traditional academic year comes to a close, think about offering items that would show appreciation for teachers or a sentimental congratulation for graduates. Personalization, handmade cards (think monetary gifts), and keepsakes are always sought after. The typical college year comes to a close in early to mid-May, while high schools tend to close in mid to late June.
- Father's Day - With Father's Day approaching in June, think about types of gifts that would make a great gift for the many types of dads out there: business and office accessories, gadgets and tech gear, the cases to carry them in, outdoor equipment, sports gear, men's fashion, keepsakes, and luxury gifts. Keep in mind the home chef, the auto enthusiast, the handyman, the trendsetter, the classic, and those dads who seem to have it all.
- Intro to Summer - Consider how you can market toward seasonal activities like summer travel, outdoor activities, open air fetes and soirees, summer fashion, and lighter, brighter colors.
- Summer Fashions - Options for summer emphasize showing some skin, open toes, lightweight materials, and sun protection: sunglasses, sunscreen, makeup, balms, hats and coverups. Summer dresses, shoes and accessories, and options for hair are key.
- Gardening and Artisanal Food - Thoughtful cultivation of food is becoming less a trend and more of a sustainable movement. Think in terms of what you can offer toward organic methods, growing, non-processed options, recipes, and education around sustainable food options. Expect farmer's markets, raising animals, community gardens, and co-ops continue to grow in popularity.
- Weddings, Proms, and Celebrations - Embrace your inner teenager and think about glam prom options with a touch of sparkle and edge: dresses, shoes, jewelry, bags, hair accessories, corsages, and make-up. Smack in the middle of the busiest time for wedding season, think about how your line can offer or evoke outdoor options for both the ceremony and after-party.
- Outdoor Travel: Be it a day trip or an extended vacation, outdoor destinations and activities come into focus. Think in terms of the beach, countryside, forest and mountains. Outdoor activities to think about include camping, biking, hiking, fun at the beach, fishing, and water sports.
- The World in Sports - The Kentucky Derby ushers in horse racing and equestrian themes, while the French Open brings up tennis matches and French themes.
- Sun Signs & Birth Stones - Emerald is May's birthstone; May's astrological signs are Taurus (April 21 - May 20) and Gemini (May 21 - June 21).
Dates to Remember
- May is known as National Barbecue, Photograph, and Bike Month.
- May 1: May Day, Fete du Travail, Labor Day
- May 3: Constitution Day (Japan), National Teachers Day
- May 5 : Cinco de Mayo
- May 7: Kentucky Derby
- May 8: Mother's Day, VE Day
- May 15: Saint Isidros's Day (Spain)
- May 11-22: Cannes Film Festival
- May 18: International Museum Day
- May 21: National Bike to Work Day
- May 22 - June 5: French Open
- May 23: Victoria Day (Canada)
- May 30: Memorial Day
For more information, visit Etsy's Merchanising Desk...